flippytale Quilter

Art Journey with a Quilty Voice:
I here Voices. The Voices tell me to cut up Fabric. Good Fabric. Into small pieces. Small interesting pieces.
Then the Voices tell me to put them back together again. In interesting ways.
.... I must Obey ....

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Paper Piecing Thoughts

I've been working on my New Timon quilt for nearly five years now. As I sat this morning while watching my favorite weekend program, Sunday Morning, I was carefully taking out the basting and paper from the completed squares. At that time I realized that I have handled each little square several times while assembling this project.


I suppose that is why people are amazed and shocked when I tell them what I am doing. Some just shake their head and mutter under their breath that I am crazy. Other quilters tremble at the awesome task I've taken on. Since I have no deadline I feel none of these things. The process is a means to the end I am trying to accomplish - a painting in fabric. It is my most complicated and biggest project yet using English Paper Piecing.

So, let's see how many times does each tiny square get handled?
Mental handling:

  • Developing the picture (at least 15-20 versions are created)

  • Seperating the seperate colors

  • Picking the fabrics that will go with each swatch


The physical handling:

  • Cutting the fabric out

  • Pinning each piece to a paper layout

  • Cutting the paper backing

  • Ironing fabric to paper

  • Basting each piece
  • Pinning the basted square down on a layout board

  • Sewing the pieces together

  • Removing the basting

  • Removing the paper


Final Assembly (yet to be completed)

  • Sewing on a border

  • Creating a Quilt Sandwich

  • Hand quilting the quilt

  • Adding the binding

  • Taping off all the cat hair

  • Adding the label



So far I've counted 18 individual handlings of each piece of fabric, including the assembly. Nine are just for the actual squared of fabric. That's 18 x (count of squares) = a jillion times I have done something with quilt.

Not that I am appologizing for how long it takes or making excuses, but doing this count sure puts the process into perspective!


Stay tuned to when I count how many I've actually made.....

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

I am so excited to see how this progresses!

August 12, 2007 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

that is wayyyy cool! and i like the sq. vs. hexagon[is that the shape i mean?]

August 12, 2007 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger swooze said...

Just wow! Can't wait to see the final product.

August 13, 2007 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Ouch! I think it's better not to know these things sometimes...

August 15, 2007 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Beertje Zonn said...

Beautiful!!!
Kind Regards,

Sonnja

August 19, 2007 at 3:51 AM  
Blogger sewnut said...

That is an amazing project in progress. I did not understand from your post till I linked over but wow. patience plus.
..and they call some people janiacs...

August 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger mikawendy said...

Oh wow, what a neat project! This reminds me of a quilt I saw in a Jinny Beyer book pieced entirely from 1" squares. It wasn't an image--it was just a colorwash pattern, but the patience it takes to create somethign like that! I have a huge pile of tiny scraps that I've been cutting into 1" squares (and 2" squares and 3" squares) so that someday I can do something with them....

August 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home