flippytale Quilter

Art Journey with a Quilty Voice:
I here Voices. The Voices tell me to cut up Fabric. Good Fabric. Into small pieces. Small interesting pieces.
Then the Voices tell me to put them back together again. In interesting ways.
.... I must Obey ....

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ironing Board Issues

A couple of years ago I bought a fancy new Rowenta Professional DE-92.1 iron and to go with I also bought a nice stable ironing board.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
True to my nature I researched the stuffing out ironing boards and eventually settled on this nifty Polder 1751 board from an major online company that should stick to selling just books (you know who you are). Red flags should have gone up when it took them nearly four months to ship the thing.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I do love using it, it is a great design, until now that I have to find a replacement cover. It is a special size; 51 x 17", European or something. Bought a cover from the same online-book-store-that-shall-not-be-named that is suppose to be the right size. But no matter how I tugged and pulled on it, it just would not lay flat on the frame ... urgh! I even ironed it thinking that it might go flat then, but all it did was seal that fact that I wouldn't be able to return it. So I took it off and put it on my old, sub-standard smaller, standard board which it fit just fine.

Right now my compromise is that I pinned a scrap of cotton canvas to the top until I can find or make some thing to get my surface smooth again. The origional surface has several holes and tears now.

Has anyone one else ever encountered such a dilemma over an ironing board and its replacement cover? What did you do? Did you make your own? What did you use? Has anyone ever made their own "Big Board"?

I am thinking of making my own big board, just have to get the wood cut, I am pretty sure I can handle the rest. I figured I can pad it with left over cotton batting. I just not sure how to attach it to the existing ironing board frame. Anyway ... there's my rant for the week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

My ironing board used to be a 12$ wonder from Ikea. After the legs seperated from the top, with help, I used the top board just sitting on a contraption I made up. {picture wayyyyyyy back in my blog} Recently it went thru yet another transformation...guess I might as well go blog this myself so I can add pictures...LOL

May 20, 2007 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Christine I haven't personally had problems with store bought covers fitting, but I do think they use the cheapest thinnest fabrics available. So I make my own. Cut a template from the top of your ironing board and add enough of a seam allowance for it to go under the board and fit snuggly. I use either old wollen blankets, (thrift stores are good for these) or several layers of old towels and you could add a layer of heat resistant batting.

May 20, 2007 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

My current iron, a funky wider than normal one purchased on a whim at a homegoods store 6 years ago, has a cover that has finally shredded beyond usability. It's no longer made, not replacable, and, I guess that means its time for a new iron myself...

May 21, 2007 at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home