flippytale Quilter

Art Journey with a Quilty Voice:
I here Voices. The Voices tell me to cut up Fabric. Good Fabric. Into small pieces. Small interesting pieces.
Then the Voices tell me to put them back together again. In interesting ways.
.... I must Obey ....

Monday, August 27, 2007

Modern Quilting Topic

We currently have TEN members of our Modern Quilting ring now! Yeah! (I am not counting myself because I could have a party all by myself right here, but how much fun would that be?)

What inspires your quilt designs, where do you get your ideas?
How has Modern design has influenced your quilting, is there a specific style?

Me?

I luvvv Mid-Century Modern architecture and home furnishings. The look of the 50's and 60's. Women's fashions from then. My color choices are influenced by that, my lines and compositions are too. Interior design from that time was unlike anything before it.

I also have always loved abstract art where the piece is broken down into its base elements and become all theory. I can't help but be influenced by my times as well and would like to think that my designs are updated versions for Modern.

A few catch words come to mind...
Eames
Ranch Houses
Danish Modern furniture
A-Line Dresses
High-Healed pumps
West Elm
Asian Influence

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

oh oh oh...Eames...I have 4 of his chairs that my parents bought wayyyyyyyy long ago. Mom kept the gray ones and sold the red ones long ago. I was kinda bummed about that, I love these chairs! I am going to go blog a picture of the one I have.

As for quilting, I tend to let the fabric tell me what to do...

August 28, 2007 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Yay! I am excited to be the big number 10 lol! When looking through the webrings, this one just struck my fancy and well here I am!

I think I'm a modern quilter in the sense that I like color a little more than the average quilter! I adore clean lines, big shapes - think Georgia O'Keefe - would love to do a quilt inspired by her sometime.

I also love Prim Folk Art quilts, mainly for the design elements - they're not too 'fussy' but not in the typical country colors - I gotta have some rich jewel-tones and brights in there somewhere!

So that's me. Just hanging out at home with the kids, quilting, blogging, so it goes! I hope to add to my blog every day or 2 - I have lots of ideas but need to spread them out a bit lol!

Thanks for accepting me - I'm excited!

August 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Forgot to say....I LOVE the I hear voices bit on the left of your blog - I mean I literally LOL at that one!

August 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger sewnut said...

I love colour. Colour is my inspiration and my rejuvenation.
Simply looking at the colours and the visual texture of the fabric inspires me. I am only too sad that there are not enough hours free in my life to play the way I really want to play.

August 28, 2007 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger mikawendy said...

I'm a big fan of Arts & Crafts furniture and Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture and other designs. I think that influences me mostly in terms of two things: function and geometry. I love parallel lines (especially alternating groups of wide/narrow). In terms of function, I usually prefer projects that are functional (such as a bed quilt) rather than something that will just hang on a wall. (Wallhangings do have a function, I know, but I like to be able to use a quilt and touch it.)

I also REALLLY like Art Nouveau designs because of all the organic plant-like shapes and flowy lines. I guess that's a bit earlier than modern, and I also don't do much curved piecing or applique.

August 29, 2007 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hey, thanks for posing the question! I've enjoyed letting it roll around in my noggin' while working. I answered it today on my blog.

BTW, thanks for starting and managing the ring. It's greatly appreciated.

August 30, 2007 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Tamera said...

I'd like to join in the fun!

I just started my quilting blog.

September 5, 2007 at 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home