flippytale Quilter

Art Journey with a Quilty Voice:
I here Voices. The Voices tell me to cut up Fabric. Good Fabric. Into small pieces. Small interesting pieces.
Then the Voices tell me to put them back together again. In interesting ways.
.... I must Obey ....

Monday, April 23, 2007

Humbled

I just finished reading Crazy Aunt Purl's blog announcing that her book is being published. I am so humbled by such greatness. I have been an Artist all my life, really, ever since I can remember I can't think of a time I wasn't fooling around with something with paint or craft.

With her success I had a rush of memories all things that I've done with my career (a very meandering path). I can't but help compare myself to her story. It is similar to mine, though the leaving of the boyfriend events are a bit different. I found my way into Quilting. Every Quilter I've ever met has always 100 percent been accepting of me, no matter what her (yes, HER) background is. I know there are men that quilt, I have yet to meet an actual one, though I saw John Flynn at a quilt show once.

Anyway, I am so fortunate to work in Design. I am a bit like a bulldog that way, once I get a hold of something (like my career) I will clamp down and hang on forever. Try to take it away from me (like me ex did) and I will clamp down further. Don't tell me the odds (I'm not a vegas gambler, and don't tell me women don't do well in my field) because I will take that gamble. The gamble of self. My consistent thread in all the things that I've done is that I have always believed that what I am doing in important (at least to me) Even if no one every bought or supported what I do I still HAVE to do it. The is where the Art is like Oxygen part comes in.

Not too long ago the only fan club I had was myself and my wonderful parents. I am also so incredibly grateful for their support and belief in me. Our relationship is strong and close. I just hate that I am so physically far away from them. But, then again, I wanted to stick to my career and moving was part of it.

Art and Design are hard for me to separate in my mind, the motivations for each are similar and intertwined. Design is what I do for a living. Art is what I do to stay living. Quilting is what I work in because I love the challenge of working in fabric.

I have started several businesses, worked for both corporations and entrepreneurs, I have had a pattern copy-written, I even have a patten (that is not a typo) in my name for one of my designs, I've been sued for because of a different design, I've been laid off, I bought a house by myself, I manage my own finances, I design my own quilting patterns, I've taught quilting, I've given lectures about my quilting. Someday I will add "book published" to that list, and "self-employed"

I like my life's journey, I can't imagine how I could have done it differently, sometimes I wish I could share it with someone else, but, I know that this journey is not taken alone, I have always felt that God had guided my steps ... I just pray that I continue to follow his guidance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan J Barker said...

Thanks for stopping by at Miss Snips! But you know what, writing a book is not just writing a book, it is not even knowing how to write -- there is something intangible about putting a book together that requires a knowledge of how to start...
Thats the hardest part learning how to start...

April 26, 2007 at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home