flippytale Quilter

Art Journey with a Quilty Voice:
I here Voices. The Voices tell me to cut up Fabric. Good Fabric. Into small pieces. Small interesting pieces.
Then the Voices tell me to put them back together again. In interesting ways.
.... I must Obey ....

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Happy Earth Day - Another Sexy Iris Photo

Did I mention that my Iris is blooming? It is the Tennessee state flower... (I am not sure if it is a specific type of Iris, or all Irises count, I'm taking the latter)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I planted a new ground cover called "Creeping Jenny" that I begged a cutting off my host that I stayed with in North Carolina. I nutured six little plants through the winter and planted three of them this morning. (Wait, is this a quilt blog or a gardening blog?) I expect them to take over this one flower bed and do their job of choking out the weeds. I am not a big fan of mulching and everyone puts down mulch here. I would rather see green. I love green, I've never met a green that I didn't like. Maybe that's why I have so many green pieces of fabric (hey, its a quilting blog again!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And my little herb garden. I am determined to get them to grow big enough to consume this year! The parsley was given to me by my mom last fall and I've taken good care of it. I pinch the big leaves off and add it to my cooking and it keeps growing! I put it there to influence the other herbs I have growing so far; basil, thyme, chives, arugula, and clilantro.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In honor of Earth Day (and I figured I better use them since I bought them almost a month ago) I put in four more CFLs (compact fluorescent bulbs), they are equal to 100 watts of incandescent light bulbs, but are really only 23 watts. I mention this because two went into my sewing room. It is like daylight in there now! Anyway, I've been trying my best to be green since I moved to TN four years ago, but it is not a popular here as it was in California. No one seems to care about recycling, the garbage company has never given me a recycling bin, even after I've asked repeatedly. I still am horror struck when I see someone throw away an aluminum can because there isn't a recycle bin near by. I've thought of starting a recycling program at work, but am put off by the nightmare of picking up people's disgusting, sticky, dirty cans. So, I save my own cans, and bottles and take them to the only operating recycling center I could find in Memphis. It is just a drop off point, but I hope that they are able to at least cash the stuff in and recycle it. I am still looking for the aluminum foil that in from recycled. Wonder what the neighbors would think if I had a wind turbine in my yard?



One Billion Bulbs Statistics




Ok, Back to the Quilt Cave!!!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home